Turmeric Root – (Curcuma longa) – NON GMO – ORGANIC
10 pcs FRESH LIVE TURMERIC Roots Rhizomes – NON GMO – ORGANIC – US SELLER
***NOTE: All root crop products are shipped ONLY on Monday. We will not ship it any other day of the week. This is to ensure that your product arrives in good condition.
The rhizomes are a pale brown on the outside with a rough texture. They are averagely 1-3 inches in length and 1 inch in diameter with small tubers branching from the sides. On the inside these rhizomes have a bright orange or yellow colored flesh.
Part of these rhizomes are used for preparation of turmeric powder while some are reseeded for the next crop.
Turmeric plant requires a temperature of 18-30 degree Celsius to grow with an annual rainfall of 640 mm to 4200mm is tolerated by the plant. Irrigation is not required in areas where there is ample rainfall. Sprouting of turmeric rhizomes occurs in a temperature range of 25-30 degree Celsius. They elongate well in the same temperature range but do not survive temperatures higher than 40 degree Celsius. Turmeric grows well in shades but is said to produce better and larger rhizomes when grown in open grounds exposed to the sun. It grows well in loose, friable well drained loamy or alluvial soils.
Soil pH range requirement is 4.3 to 7.5. And the crop is sensitive to saline soil or saline water irrigation. Planting season in India for turmeric is the month of April and continues till first week of July. Various factors such as soil mineral content, planting time and even soil texture affect the rhizome yield.
Health benefits of Turmeric root
Turmeric root contains curcumin which is blessed with a number of medicinal and pharmacological properties. Turmeric oil also has medicinal value.
Here is a list of top benefits of turmeric:
1. It is a natural anti-inflammatory.
2. It is a powerful antioxidant.
3. It has potent anti-microbial properties.
4. It has anti-cancer properties.
5. It has wound healing properties.
6. It protects skin health.
7. It regulates immune responses.
8. It is neuroprotective in nature and benefits brain health.
9. It protects heart health.
10. It works as detoxifying agent and protects from heavy metal, carcinogen and drug induced toxicity.
11. It supports both male and female reproductive health.
12. It is great for oral and dental hygiene.
13. It has pain relieving effect.
14. It benefits in metabolic diseases like diabetes, metabolic syndrome etc.
15. It preserves bone health and protects from arthritis, osteoporosis etc.